Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Creative Conversing


I’ve been enjoying staying at Ezekiel’s parent’s house and having the opportunity to talk with them a little. Conversing is made more challenging when I can speak English and incredibly basic Hausa and his mom can speak the tribal language of Mambilla, Fulfuldi comfortably and Hausa as an alternative. His dad can definitely speak enough English for us to communicate basic things and then of course Ezekiel can speak them all with ease.

I brought some flavored drink packets from the US to share with them and his dad made a great joke about how it was like Jesus turning water into wine. I added how he must have used wine-flavored drink packets then his dad said something to that effect in Mambilla. Ezekiel then translated the whole thing to his mom and soon we were all joined in laughter. It was a sweet moment. His mom is a joyful, kind soul with a boisterous and infectious laugh. We laugh a lot when we’re together because that’s a universal language. I like it.

2 comments:

  1. That is too funny! I never thought of it seeming like that, but I bet it does to them!

    -Sarah Long

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing how the language barrier can always be enjoyed through laughter! Universal language for us all!!!

    ReplyDelete