Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Unexpected Connection

I “should” blog about my wonderful Independence Day 4-day weekend trip to Antigua, Guatemala with a big group of friends. However, a significant amount of my brain power got spent grading papers this evening, so I’m going to share a shorter, simpler yet no-less-sweet story!

I entered through the gates at my running park this afternoon when I spotted an elderly gentleman with kind eyes and a warm smile sitting alone on a bench at the entrance. I had seen this man before and had pegged him as a potential Spanish conversation buddy since as he seemed interested in chatting (I could see it in his eyes!) and safe because I could totally outrun him if necessary! I considered aborting my run right then in favor of chatting, but decided that a half mile run to the park couldn't really be counted as a workout and would instead hope that he didn't leave before I was available to chat. Each lap I looked anxiously at the bench and was pleased to find that he was still there when I finished. As I walked over to his bench sweaty and out-of-breath, I started to wonder how to strike up a conversation with a random 85-year old Salvadoran man. (One would think I might have considered this during the 3 mile run, but I hadn’t.)

To my surprise and delight, once he saw me, he struggled to stand and greeted me as if we were long-time acquaintances! (Some might be concerned by this but I could tell he was amiable and good-intentioned.) We proceeded to have the most delightful conversation. He has a granddaughter who attends Escuela Americana, where I teach, and a few other grandchildren who are attending college in the US. He asked me where I was from and didn't accept the answer San Salvador. I wonder what gave it away?! Next, he asked where my parents and parents' parents were from. “U.S.” I replied repeatedly. When I finally understood he was trying to ask about my heritage, I tried to explain that some of my family was from Sweden, but was limited by my vocabulary and conveniently migrated my ancestors to Norway, which was more easily understood. I got excited when I realized I had German heritage as well AND knew the Spanish word for Germany! His heritage was Palestinian and he proceeded to whip out some Arabic temporarily yet thoroughly confusing my language-laden brain.

Our conversation was cut short by his driver beckoning him home because of the impending rain, so we shook hands and parted ways for today. Hopefully, we'll meet again another day to experience more bumbling Spanish, jewels of wisdom that only life experience can bring and the joy of building upon unexpected connections.

1 comment:

  1. You are able to make friends anywhere you travel! Enjoy visiting with this gentleman and will look forwards to your blog on your trip!!!

    ReplyDelete