Friday, May 13, 2011

Pondering Packing

I've been slowly, but diligently, purging many of my possessions since December in preparation for moving abroad in the summer of 2011. This process has been simultaneously interesting and agonizing! I started creating areas of purgatory for certain difficult items. Surprisingly (to me but not to statistics), most things have ended up at Goodwill or my church garage sale pile after it completes its waiting period.

Recently, I was perplexed by the idea that I was more than ready to get rid of my TV that I've had since college. I haven't hardly watched it while living in Clinton due to lack of cable and insufficient local signal, so I adapted and became completely dependent on my computer. However, I felt this strong attachment to the entertainment center that I purchased at a consignment store here in Clinton less than two years ago. Now, logically, why would one even consider keeping an entertainment center if they are getting rid of their TV without a second thought? Then, after deciding that moving the entertainment center wouldn't be fun and I should just donate it, I was seriously considering keeping my DVD player. Really?!? I eventually came to my senses that my computer has a DVD player and without a TV, it's useless!

As someone who considers them self rather detached from "things", I've come to realize I'm a lot more attached and dependent than I had initially evaluated and I have determined that often it's because things are attached to memories. I keep reminding myself that the memory doesn't have to disappear just because the "thing" does...at least I hope not because my parents' basement can't fit all the memories that I've accumulated! :)

2 comments:

  1. i have a tv and ps3 here in my room in iraq but its rarely on. i even have "cable" which is 8 channels of normal tv. but i am constantly around people so the quiet is refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha the memories attached to things is so true.... That's why I have so much stuff. I don't know why it's hard to realize, like you say, that the memory is not just gonna disappear the moment you get rid of something. Maybe one day I'll learn.

    ReplyDelete