Friday, June 3, 2011

Bittersweet Endings

Describing endings as bittersweet is probably considered rather cliché, but I believe it has become cliché because of the dichotomy that it so aptly portrays. As I packed up my apartment in Clinton and said my final good-byes to friends and co-workers, I was struck by the finality of this current reality. I’ll never again live above landlords who notice my bike tires are low on air and pump them up for me or knock on my door to bring me the most delicious baked goods. There are inside jokes with co-workers that can’t be relayed to other audiences and remain humorous. Friendships have been built; we will work to maintain them, but they will change due to distance and time. Finally, leaving this set of students means leaving their insatiable appetite for love and attention and the opportunity to practice patience on a superhuman level. There is a compassionate (masochistic?) part of me that will miss that.

While leaving these aforementioned people will create a void, how sweet to have “done life” with them for a time! My life has definitely been enriched and enhanced by those I have met and experiences we’ve shared!!! Now that the Clinton chapter in life has closed, I’m waiting and preparing for the adventures to come. First up, revisiting old friends in Jalingo, Nigeria June 12th-July 19th! I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment