Tuesday, August 23, 2011

PDA's

Personal digital assistant: When I arrived, I got a phone as soon as possible as communication is highly important. However, I definitely purchased the most basic phone possible for $25. It can call and text. Purposed served. All of my students own BB’s. Maybe BlackBerry’s (definitely googled the proper plural form!) are called that in the US and it simply wasn’t the lingo in Clinton or maybe it’s a Salvadoran thing. Either way, they’re connected, though thankfully, I haven’t seen any out during the school day…yet!

Public displays of affection: I’d never considered myself much of a fan while living in the US. I certainly don’t want to be walking around in public and made to feel uncomfortable by other people’s disregard for discretion. However, while I was in Nigeria (Jalingo), I took notice that couples NEVER showed any affection whatsoever. If two people were dating, talking in public was seen as pretty darn scandalous. In fact, even once they were married, couples were rarely seen interacting in public together. I thought holding hands seemed pretty benign but was told differently. This felt oddly cold to me.

San Salvador is a WHOLE different story! I’ve been running regularly at a park about 4 blocks from my house and sometimes feel myself blushing as I make laps around the thickly-forested 800m loop. Salvadoran culture wholly approves, from what I can tell, of public displays of significant affection. People are making out on benches, rolling around in the grass, and intertwined like pretzels and no one but me seems a bit bothered by it. It’s pretty crazy!

It’s interesting how different places can have such radically different social norms. While I can respect others’, mine still seem best to me! :)

1 comment:

  1. Interesting to see how the different cultures treat "affection"!!!
    Now Carolyn~keep your eyes in front of you when you are running!!!

    ReplyDelete