Tuesday, November 22, 2011

International Chaperone

I just returned from a Knowledge Bowl competition in San Pedro Sula, Honduras where I served as a last minute substitute chaperone! Now, I have traveled with students multiple times before, but never internationally. As we were boarding the bus, one of the moms verified with me that I’d be collecting all the passports once we got to the hotel and keeping them in the safe in my room. I nodded emphatically as if that was clearly the plan of action that I had been intending to carry out. However, in my mind I was thinking, “Safe? Hotels have safes in them? I need to not only take care of my ridiculously important documentation, but now I’m also in charge of the safekeeping of 9 other minors’ passports?!” I just continued to smile and nod.

When we got to the border, the security officer had to see me and my passport as each child on a Salvadoran passport was now officially placed in my care. My Spanish managed to carry me through the niceties of customs despite the fact that it was being distorted through the glass and extra scary because it was an important situation. We were allowed to cross the border into Honduras where we each collected an important piece of yellow paper that we were told would cost us $150 if lost. So, who got put in charge of keeping track of all these mysterious, yet valuable yellow, carbon triplicates? That’s me!

After an 8 hour bus ride, we arrived at a fancy hotel and hurried to get everyone into their room as we were already late for the much-needed coaches meeting and opening ceremonies. As group by group came to get their keys, I signed my life away time after time agreeing to be responsible for these children and all their actions. Slightly daunting, yes, but I decided to simply focus on getting their passports safely put away in a locked place (despite the fact that I’ve traveled quite a bit internationally and NEVER locked up my passport…I’d also never been in charge of an additional 9 either). I got up to my room to find the safe in the closet, safely and securely locked shut. I proceeded to follow the instructions provided on the outside of the safe to reset the code and open the door. I followed them carefully 6 times before I decided that I needed back up and called the front desk. They said they’d send someone soon. I explained that we were already late, so it needed to be ahorita [now]! I waited for seemingly an eternity, which probably amounted to 3 minutes. When no one came, I decided that the passports could live in the nightstand drawer for a few hours because by now everyone was going to be waiting for me on the bus to leave for the school!

In my infinite wisdom, I decided to get to the bus faster by skipping the elevator and taking the stairs which happened to be conveniently located right outside my door! As I was mentally patting myself on the back for being speedier AND more environmentally friendly, I realized that a dimly-lit stair case in Honduras might not have been the most opportune locale to go green. Whoops! Okay, I thought, I won’t do this again. I’m sure I’ll be fine this time. I was only on the 3rd floor, so as I made it down one flight of stairs and reached the 2nd floor I was a little apprehensive that there was no handle to get back in. However, I reassured myself that for security purposes they keep the floors locked, but surely the lobby door will open. Nope, not the case. I continued my descent hoping and praying that I’d come across an unlocked door to exit, but I only found a very dark and door-less corner.

At this point, my heart and mind started to race simultaneously. Irrational and illogical Carolyn “I’m going to be stuck in this stair case FOREVER! There’s no air conditioning and probably a finite amount of oxygen that I’ll quickly deplete because the window aren’t open!” Rational and logical Carolyn, “I’ll call my co-chaperone Will and he’ll let me out!” I called and realized that his phone doesn’t work here in Honduras. “I’ll call the other school’s chaperone!” Oh wait, we hadn’t exchanged numbers yet. “I’ll pound on the door because surely the guy who was supposed to come and help me open my safe will be looking for me and hear me knocking and save me!” I pounded on the door for a while feeling really guilty that I was making an entire bus of people even later. When no one responded, I realized at this point that I probably wouldn’t be stuck forever and when I got out it’d be a good story! :) Thankfully, soon after that thought, I received a text from Will saying “Test” and heard him knocking on my door looking for me. I pounded back, yelled and was heard! Free!!! (He could text but not send or receive calls…go figure.)

Despite the fact that we were in a hurry to get to the bus, I caught a glance at the door and felt vindicated that there was no sign anywhere on that door that said “This door will lock behind you and you’ll be stuck forever” only “Fire Escape”. What if there’s a fire and the firemen need to get up to another floor? They’ll be locked out for good! Thankfully, I made it through the remainder of the trip without any other major chaperone faux pas. Some might take exception with the two important receipts I misplaced, but I’ve decided that since both situations have already been rectified, it’s as if they don’t even count! :) Coaching a Knowledge Bowl team is a story for another day…

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Carolyn! That would have been very scarey and probably would have put me into an anxiety attack!! The safety of the stairways was not up to par. Glad you got out safely and will be waiting for the next chapter eagerly!
    Oh, see you in a few weeks! Will be starting my cookie baking starting next Monday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not at all helping to ease my irrational fear of being locked in a stairwell. I'm glad you got a good story out of it.

    ReplyDelete