Saturday, December 10, 2011

Other Side

I’ve always been the one leaving: moving on, new location, fresh start. It’s been bittersweet but happened with the knowledge of a new, unknown and exciting adventure ahead! This time, I’m the one who’s being left behind and it’s a never-before-experienced, strange feeling. In all seriousness, I’m LOVING my life in El Salvador…a LOT! However, it’s strange to realize that many of the new friends that I’ve made over the past 4 months are leaving at the end of this school year. Many current conversations around me consist of job applications, interviews, or the pros and cons of potential future cities/countries of employment. I’m excited for them and know that this is a new and exciting step in their lives, but it’s also a strange realization that 8 people that I’ve just started to get to know and like are all leaving the country in a few more months! I’m beginning to get a small taste of my own medicine.

I know that I’m not ready to leave now that I’m feeling settled and comfortable, but it’s strange to consider next year knowing that places and procedures will be familiar but there will be an entirely new crop of people to meet, introduce to El Salvador and explore with! This is a role that will be new to me, but thankfully, I’ve had some SUPER role models everywhere I’ve gone in how to make a new girl feel welcome, accepted and loved. What a great opportunity it will be to get to return some of the extravagant hospitality I’ve received so many times over!

1 comment:

  1. You will be great in helping those who are new to you settle in and see the new surroundings!
    You will grab the bull by the horns and move forwards! It'll be a sad time yet exciting as well.

    ReplyDelete