Monday, December 26, 2011

Home for Christmas!

When I left this summer for El Salvador, I wasn’t sure whether or not I’d be home for Christmas or not. I’m very thankful that everything worked out for me to come home for almost two weeks!

In preparations for my trip to Iowa, I realized I didn’t have to pack hardly any clothes because of the different climates. Here is a picture of me in El Salvador the morning before I left for Iowa with a poinsettia that I discovered was growing in my back yard! Shockingly, I wasn’t going to need my sandals and skirts in the frozen temperatures. As I stepped off the plane and onto the gate, I was quickly reminded that Iowa in December is colder than El Salvador...even though it has been one of the warmer Decembers in recent history! While I was a little disappointed about the lack of snow and consequently lack of cross-country skiing, the good roads for travel and pleasantly, cool temperatures have been an acceptable exchange.

The first evening I was home, I decided to dig out my winter running clothes and go for an invigorating and liberating run at night, in the dark with my ipod to look at Christmas lights! What an enjoyable treat!!! It’s all about celebrating the positives: while I’m in El Salvador, I love the fact that I can wear shorts and t-shirts year-round and can therefore be dressed and ready to run in less than 5 minutes! However, I can’t run past 6pm because it’s not safe to run in the dark and running with my ipod would act as a neon-flashing sign asking to be mugged. Taking the extra time to search for all my winter running accoutrements and having some chilly hands at the beginning were fully compensated by the pretty lights and music of a Christmastime run in Iowa!

In the weeks prior to my arrival back in the US, I began to arrange my schedule for my time at home in order to maximize the amount of family and friends I would be able to see. I’m so glad I did because I have had so much fun getting together with friends old and new and from near and far! Technology is SUPER because it enables me to stay in contact with so many people from so many places, but a hug and face to face conversation can’t be beat! I remembered to get out my camera during some of the get-togethers…others got taken over by conversation will have to be represented with old pictures. Family and friends are a HUGE blessing in my life, and I have been extra thankful during this Christmas season!

My Family (Wilton)















Sarah, Joshua and me (Clinton High School buddy)



















Sue, me and Chuck (Former Clinton Landlords!-old picture)














Deanna, Tami, me and Jenna +Jill, too!- (CHS Science Department Girls-old picture)















Kirsten & me (Former Texas roommate-old picture)














Laura (UNI friend), Meredith (friend through Laura) (Des Moines)















Angie & me (Cedar Falls-Texas friend)















Danielle & me (Cedar Falls-UNI friend-old picture)














Carter-side Christmas
(picture to come...)

Carlson-side Christmas

1 comment:

  1. It is wonderful to see of your Christmas home vacation and all that you have been doing! We were so happy to see you again and share a meal and wonderful conversation! I think of you each day! Love your hair cut also!!!!
    Safe travels back to El Salvador and to your next adventure! Looking forward to your next chapter! You are special in our hearts, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete