Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Salvadoran Christmas Observations

Christmas here in El Salvador seems like Christmas in the states upon initial review, but when I take a closer look, there are some interesting differences:

-I was in Wal-Mart and wanted to find Christmas stickers but discovered that Christmas is contained to one small corner and it doesn’t include stickers.

-I thought I heard a Salvation Army bell ringer, but it was a man pushing an ice cream cart down the street.

-Going to the beach in December is novel and cool, but I miss snow!

-I was told that THE Christmas gift to bring back to all male relatives and friends is a Salvadoran machete. The people helping me at the hardware store told me the pros and cons of each of the two different designs. They also humored me and taught me the Spanish word for the holder. However, they proceeded to look at me funny and eventually outright laugh at me when I said I wanted three.

-I delivered cookies to the street vendors and guards that work at businesses along the street that I walk regularly to church. They were really excited about them-favorite Christmas gift given so far.

-Drinking hot cinnamon tea adds to the Christmas-feel even if it is 80 degrees outside.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting how a sound can make one think of things back home! Even though you are miles from home, home is always with you in your heart and mind!

    ReplyDelete