Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Waiting with Anticipation

After successfully gathering important financial, identification, and educational documents from three different countries Ezekiel finally has what he needs to take along on the 19-hour van trip to the US Embassy in Lagos, Nigeria where his interview with the US Consulate will take place on Thursday. He is requesting a Tourist/Business Visa to visit the US for a month this summer and we are praying that it is granted!

I have some friends who have gone through the US visa acquisition process and all warned me of the steep challenges ahead. I’m pretty sure that ignorance is bliss because I just nodded in agreement that I’m sure it’s difficult, but I figured I’ve navigated plenty of bureaucratic processes through college, living abroad, traveling and doing taxes. How hard can it be?! I missed one minor yet important detail in my thought process: I’d always been navigating the system as a US citizen which gives one a plethora of invisible and often overlooked advantages, not as an outsider!

However, after all that work, now all I get to do is wait! The last time I remember being this excited about waiting for something in a very child-like way was 3rd grade. I was anticipating Beach Day at school for weeks because not only did we get to bring towels to school and do beachy things, but both sets of my grandparents were going to be coming that night after school to celebrate mine and Alex’s birthdays. It was the best thing EVER for an-almost 9-year old girl! As an almost-30-year old girl, I’m looking forward to hearing the news that Ezekiel has been granted a US visa at his appointment at the US embassy in Lagos tomorrow at 9am in that same ridiculously child-like hopeful way. The only difference is that I was sure that my grandparents would be there when I got home, but this time I can only hope and pray!

No comments:

Post a Comment